From the creator of Veggie Tales:
After the bankruptcy I had kind of a forced sabbatical of three or four months of spending time with God and listening to Him. I looked back at the previous 10 years and realized I had spent 10 years trying to convince kids to behave Christianly without actually teaching them Christianity. And that was a pretty serious conviction. You can say, "Hey kids, be more forgiving because the Bible says so," or "Hey kids, be more kind because the Bible says so!" But that isn't Christianity, it's morality.
- Jesus + Nothing = Everything by Tullian Tchividjian
- Gospel by J.D. Greear
- Note to Self by Joe Thorn
- Gospel-Centered Ministry by Keller and Carson
- Gospel Wakefulness by Jared Wilson
- The Gospel Commission by Michael Horton
- The Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler
- What is the Mission of the Church by DeYoung and Gilbert
- For Calvinism by Michael Horton
- Defiant Grace by Dane Ortlund
- Colossians Remixed by Walsh and Keesmaat - I plan to teach through Colossians soon.
- God Without Religion by Farley - Interested in this one because of an interview I read of the author.
- New Covenant Morality by Deidun - Because I have seen this thing footnoted by everyone and their dog.
- Apostle of the Crucified Lord by Gorman - Gorman is an exegetical beast.
- Covenant and Community by Klassen - I think I have lots in common theologically with Pilgram Marpeck and hope to learn from him and about him.
- Progressive Dispensationalism by Blaising and Bock - Re-reading this one to make sure I represent them fairly.
- Sheet Music by Leman - Because sex is extremely important in marriage and I want to continually learn to serve my wife better in the bedroom.
- Introducing Paul by Bird - I really like Michael Bird's "via media" between the Reformed tradition and the new perspective.
- Jesus & the Victory of God by Wright - I'm 500 pages into this gem. I think all pastors should work through the "Christian Origins and the Question of God" series. It is that important.
- Counterfeit Gods by Keller - Because who doesn't love Keller?
- Rediscovering the Church Fathers by Haykin - I didn't get much exposure to the Fathers in seminary and am seeking to remedy that. Plus, the Fathers are awesome.
- The Israel of God by Robertson - Since Israel is so important in biblical theology
- Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tripp - Cuz parenting is hard and I want all the wisdom and insight I can get.
- Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor by Carson - I am long overdue on this one.
- Anabaptism in Outline by Klassen - I wasn't exposed to much Anabaptism in seminary either. I have been slowly delving in, and am loving it. This one looks wonderful.
- The Cross and the Spirit by Cosgrove - Galatians is my favorite NT letter. I hope to read several of the major monographs eventually.
- The Anabaptist Vision by Bender - Same as Klassen above. I find I resonate with them big time.
- The Courage to be Protestant by Wells - because the air we breath is pomo & pragmatic.
- A Primer on Postmodernism by Grenz - Wanting to see a pro-pomo perspective.
- The Reformers and Their Stepchildren by Verduin - More Anabaptism