3.17.2007

March Madness & Common Grace

Yesterday, I finished a book called 'He Shines in All That's Fair: Culture and Common Grace' by Richard J. Mouw. It is an interesting little book dealing with the doctrine of common grace, particularly as it has been developed in the Dutch Reformed tradition. In it he says,

I think God takes delight in Benjamin Franklin's wit and in Tiger Woods's putts and in some well-crafted narrative paragraphs in a Salman Rushdie novel, even if these accomplishments are in fact achieved by non-Christian people....I think God enjoys these things for their own sakes."
If Mouw's thesis is correct, then I think God was particularly delighted by today's NCAA tournament games. It was a fantastic day of college hoops and interspersed studying for midterms. I am hoping to see 35-plus from Durant tomorrow afternoon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

B.
did you do a bracket thingy? I don't know how to do one but I've sure enjoyed the madness. Those T-Mobile commercials with Dwayne Wade and Charles Barkley about their "five" crack me up!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
AJ said...

A finely-crafted hoops & theology post. Sorry about the UT game today...I had Texas facing KU in the championship, and I'm pretty surprised that USC won by such a large margin. I wonder if God enjoyed that game? ;)

Unknown said...

Kebby, I filled out a few, but now that Texas lost, my bracket is a little shot.
Ariel, thanks. I guess I am pulling for the Jayhawks from here on. As to God's enjoyment of that particular game, I think it best in this situation to refrain from speculation (Deut 29.29) and keep my mouth shut.

Jay Scott said...

welcome to my world

Anonymous said...

Hi.

Here via a link from Ariel. On a serious note, I agree with you re: God's enjoying his creation.

Less seriously, I jumped on the UT bandwagon only to be thrown off. (Mizzou '82,'84,'87) Given that I cannot abide anything Jayhawk related, it looks like its the A&M Aggies.

Cheers.

Unknown said...

Mr. Sherman,

I think I will be glad if either do well. I have been surrounded by many many boastful Aggies though so I would hate to give them another reason for more.